Battle Royal - The Official Versus Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Re: Battle Royal - The Official Versus Thread
January 02, 2014 08:33AM
Although I'm sure I know who everyone will vote for, I'm curious to see how much thought would be put into deciding the winner here. So I give you...

Victor Von Doom vs. Mister Sinister

Not that they'd ever really duke it out with one another, but what if they did?
January 02, 2014 02:08PM
Doom. 10 out of 10 times,

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
January 02, 2014 05:11PM

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman! " - Homer J. Simpson

s320x240

"I want you to know that I believe in an idea¦that a single individual who has the right heart and the right mind that is consumed with a single purpose that one man can win a war.

Give that one man a group of soldiers with the same conviction¦and he can change the world."
January 03, 2014 10:31AM
Yea yea Brotherless!!
January 13, 2014 07:36PM
Who is the master of time and space?*

Zack Morris

VS

Hiro Nakamura

*Sho Nuff is not the correct answer.

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman! " - Homer J. Simpson

s320x240

"I want you to know that I believe in an idea¦that a single individual who has the right heart and the right mind that is consumed with a single purpose that one man can win a war.

Give that one man a group of soldiers with the same conviction¦and he can change the world."
January 14, 2014 12:54AM
Brotherless_one Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who is the master of time and space?*
>
> Zack Morris
> [geeksonparade.files.wordpress.com]
> ime-out.jpg
>
> VS
>
> Hiro Nakamura
> [foreignerinformosa.typepad.com]
> r_in_formosa/images/2007/09/19/hiro_nakamura.jpg
>
> *Sho Nuff is not the correct answer.

Wait a minute, it was Skreech who could actually freeze time AND manipulate things during the time-out periods. Zack's was just general 'freeze frame' for comedic 4th wall breaking commentary that had no in-show influence (similar to Spider-man's stuff in the last animation for him with the Teen Brigade).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
January 14, 2014 08:05AM
January 16, 2014 03:01PM
Brother you've set yourself up for this one!

Batman vs Dr Doom!
January 16, 2014 05:19PM
Dr Doom!!
he the man, who will crush the bat into powder!!
Respect or fear, it doesn't matter
your obedience will be had!!
January 17, 2014 03:16AM
Outcast Wrote:
> Brother you've set yourself up for this one!
>
> Batman vs Dr Doom!

That's easy. Doom has the far superior intellect, equal resources(while he has his own country, it is still a small country who's most valuable export is Doom) and resourcefulness, equal or greater willpower, greater technology, and access to a body of knowledge that batman can't understand, i.e. magic. He's stolen the power of the Silver Surfer and the Beyonder.

So the winner is, obviously, Batman.

Now, just hear me out...

...if you scroll down to the battle report on this, you'll see the standard expected outcome...which I used to agree with until you asked this question and I REALLY thought about it. Doom wouldn't figure out who Batman is. He wouldn't feel the need to, because he's Doom and- since all men are inferior to Doom ("ESPECIALLY that fool Richards!!")- whomever deigns to dress as a bat in an attempt to strike fear into Doom is obviously a madman of feeble intelligence, unworthy of Doom's attention or pity.

Because Doom's arrogance is his fatal flaw, he'd underestimate Batman at a critical moment...putting him in a deathtrap instead of showing him mercy by killing him and ending his madness. Batman invented escaping from deathtraps (Mister Miracle elevated it to an art form). And then it's basically just a matter of pissing off every single Doom-loving Bat-hater on the face of the earth by writing Batman consistently: he's outmanuvered Lex Luthor, who has a far superior intellect, he's stalemated Ra's al Ghul, who has far greater resources than either wayne or batman; he is as unwavering from his mission as Doom was in freeing his mother; he has a network of allies to consult about whatever tech or magic he doesn't understand (1)Doing what's neccessary, up to and including working with other people...to a point...is part of his character, so arguing that bringing in outside help isn't allowable is just ignoring an aspect of the character, 2) even if it wasn't allowable, Batman -when neccessary- cheats, so that condition is still irrelevent). And he may not have stolen a god's power, but he did fatally injury Darkseid once...so he's got that going on for himself, which is nice.

So, while Doom SHOULD win over Batman, he should ALSO beat the FF for the same reasons but doesn't. Doom will have his victories, and there will never be an "...and Batman leads Doom off to Arkham in cuffs" ending, but Batman will come out on top in the end.

s320x240

January 17, 2014 07:35AM
Something better suited here than the Mjolnir vs Power Sword thread regarding when heroes or characters in general end up in conflict, and the general 'well X leads off with his most powerful attack, game over.' Characters don't generally do that (and a more common trait for villains than heroes if they do). There are several reasons why:

It's often exhausting or draining in some fashion. If you use it right off the bat and it fails for some reason (you didn't know the target could teleport, phase, dodge, etc the attack) you're now at a serious disadvantage. You've tired yourself, you may not be able to do the attack again without rest (or it becomes life-threatening to use again), and your opponent is still fresh as he was before the attack.

Hero fights in particular they aren't going for the kill and those 'ultimate attacks' are generally lethal, they aren't going to use them unless they've fought to the point they don't have a choice or know their opponent can handle it. If there opponent can handle it then generally it's not going to one-shot them anyway so they'll save it for when they've tired their opponent.

There characters in these matches generally aren't familiar with one another, they aren't going to go for the heavy strikes until they've felt out their opponent. It would prove really stupid to truck out your ultimate attack from the start only to find out he can absorb that attack, power up from it, and turn it on you but you could have learned that earlier if you'd just waited and fought more cautiously. Only the arrogant sorts use the higher end attacks, those overly confident in the effectiveness of their attacks, or just the stone cold killers who always go full tilt until they can't.

For some examples, look at Dragonball. Yes while sometimes some characters (particularly Saiyans) have a character defect about dragging fights out just because they're enjoying it most of the time they've only got limited energy reserves and have to feel out their opponent(s) first. This is why Goku doesn't just go to whatever level of Super-Saiyan he has available as soon as he comes up against an opponent. Sure it super-charges him but it also drains him and better to be safe than sorry, plus again often he's not interested in killing an opponent just shaming them into giving up.

Voltron often had the 'well they should just lead with Blazing Sword from the start!' from fans, then they had an episode where they did just that and got curb-stomped. Their opponent was fresh and the weapon just wasn't effective, the individual lions attacking first was a crucial step in making the monster of the week vulnerable to the sword attack.

So while it may seem like 'well he does X and it's all over' makes sense generally it doesn't. Heck even Galactus follows these rules, using the least amount of energy possible due to his Hunger and only escalating as he has to (which is why he often just leaves the fight eventually, when he could have done an instant-kill attack that used less overall energy than trying to be cheap about it cost him).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
January 19, 2014 12:24PM
Brotherless_one Wrote:
> So, while Doom SHOULD win over Batman, he should
> ALSO beat the FF for the same reasons but doesn't.
> Doom will have his victories, and there will never
> be an "...and Batman leads Doom off to Arkham in
> cuffs" ending, but Batman will come out on top in
> the end.

I see what you're saying Bro. Certain comic book rules have to be followed in order for the stories to work it seem, something I'll try to take into account when commenting on future match-ups.

I can just imagine Doom in arkham, fully armored while wearing a straight jacket, yelling his head off about how Batman's gonna pay a terrible pricegrinning smiley.
No it won't happen but it's good to have at least one funny image in my mind to call upon in these troubled times.
January 23, 2014 06:44PM
Doom underestimates Wayne and is caught off guard but not truly defeated. Wayne gets the upper hand for a moment and so wins. I could see it playing out.

Here's a more even match up since Batman has taken on various crime cartels.

Batman vs Kingpin!
January 23, 2014 07:01PM
Batman. Kingpin would be taken down by him every time.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
January 23, 2014 07:07PM
Bruce Wayne!!
February 18, 2014 06:45AM
I'm going with Kingpin on this one. He actually went toe-to-toe with Captain America at one point, and that ended in a stalemate. The guy has unbelievable strength and intellect for a non-super-powered individual. And with Batman's mental block on killing people, Fisk gets the win here.

But now I'm curious on another match. Kingpin vs. Lex Luthor.

I know - Luthor is the single-most intelligent individual in the DC universe, and he feels that nobody - Brainiac included - is his intellectual equal. But Luthor only has strength when he has his weapons; Kingpin is at the peak of normal human physical strength.

Who wins that one?
March 09, 2014 08:41PM
This is a lot of thread to look over and I don't know if this battle has been discussed before.

Black Widow vs Batman.

Avenger's movie Black Widow vs Christian Bale Batman. I'd love to watch the battle. In an impromptu battle, I believe Black Widow would take him. In the 2nd battle and beyond Batman has her in the the martial arts.
SUGGESTION FOR THE POWERS THAT BE...
March 09, 2014 09:03PM
In my opinion, this thread should be locked and a Version 2.0 of it should be created and stickied. It's gotten way too big. My computer takes a few seconds to load the page... and I don't have the site set to "show all posts". Egad, if I did that would be even worse!

Re: SUGGESTION FOR THE POWERS THAT BE...
March 10, 2014 05:37AM
Do we need a new facebook marvel string?
Re: SUGGESTION FOR THE POWERS THAT BE...
March 10, 2014 05:48AM
Probably.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 32
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.